Labels

awards (31) battle (7) books (4) event (40) FAB (39) fashion (135) gaga (5) lol (2) magazine cover (7) Malaysia boleh (1) monthly (6) movie premiere (23) movies (4) music (11) myself (4) random (6) red carpet (38) streetswear (3) UGH (39) video (9) weekly (5)

Tuesday 17 May 2011

Just Read: The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

Honestly, the only reason I read this novel is because my sister love the movie.Me? I think the movie is so-so. Actually, it's kinda boring. I just watch the movie because I thought romantic movies supposed to have lotsa quotations in it. But because my sound system (not my lappy, but my ears) is a little fucked up, I can't barely listen to any words they're mumbling (subtitles, people. Subtitles!). And because the ending in the movie is not a good one (I freakin love un-happy ending), I decided to read the book.


But first lemme tell you a little bit about Mr Nicky's works here. Most of his novel has been made into movies like A Walk To Remember (you know, the one where Mandy Moore, the heroine, DIED because of leukemia), The Notebook (where the hero and heroine both DIED together while they were sleeping), The Last Song (the one where the heroine's father DIED because of cancer) and Dear John (well, I haven't finished watching this but I'm pretty sure someone will DIE in this movie). So now you understand why I'm excited to read this one right- UN-FREAKING-HAPPY ENDINGS.

So I read the novel. It's about Noah Coulhoun and Allie Nelson, how they met back after years of seperation yadda yadda yadda snooze. Maybe that's why they call'em a one-night read, because you just can't wait to go to the good part. You know like when you're watching some videos or movie and then you skip the boring part to get to the good part.

Anyway.

Then I finally reach the good part-the last chapter: Winter For Two.

I love it because it focus more on a long loving relationship between Noah and Allie, in their old age, with Allie being an Alzheimer sufferer. I admit I almost cry when I read this chapter. This is my favorite part from this chapter, Noah describing their relationship now, with Allie not remembering who he is at all:
Dusk, I realized then, is just an illusion, because the sun is either above the horizon or below it. And that means that day and night are linked in a way that few things are; there cannot be one without the other, yet they cannot exist at the same time. How it would feel, I remember wondering, to be always together, yet forever apart.
I also love this part:
And when the nurses came in they see two people they must comfort. A woman shaking in fear from demons in her mind, and the old man who loves her more deeply than life itself, crying softly in the corner, his face in his hand.
If you watch the movie, this is the part where Allie says "It's us! The people in the story. It's us!" and she suddenly remember everything back, she remembers Noah and stuff like that. In this novel, it's more intense; the way Allie is scared that she'll forget everything again, and the way Noah soothe her. Well this part happen soon after Allie forget everything back. She, again, became a stranger, to both herself and Noah.

So tgah2 sedeyh tu I can't wait la to get trough with it already. There's only one thing that drives me madly to finish reading that book- THE UN-HAPPY ENDING.

But instead, it ends with Allie magically recovered from her disease and this:
For at that moment, the world is full of wonder as I feel her fingers reach for the buttons on my shirt and slowly, ever so slowly, she begins to undo them one by one.
 (-_____________-)

I don't feel like reading The Last Song or A Walk To Remember after that. I mean, NO DEATH!? Do you know how disappointed I am? *sigh*
Anyway, these are some few quotes that I find interesting in this book
~It's just that sometimes, our future is dictated by what we are, as opposed to what we want~ Allie's mother on her relationship with Noah.
 ~"Poets often describe love as an emotion we can't control, one that overwhelms logic and common sense"~
 ~"For me, love like that has happened only once, and that's why every minute we spent together has been seared in my memory"~ Noah answered Allie when she asked which part of the summer he actually remembered the most.
 ~"Yes," I say "I'm here for you." And always will be, I think to myself~ Noah.
~No drowning man can know which drop of water his last breath did stop..~ Noah.
 ~Silence is holy. It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking~ ....................... awkward.......
 ~...for with knowledge comes pain.~
 ~And I learned what is obvious to a child. That life is simply a collection of little lives, each lived one day at a time.~
 ~But most of all, I learned that life is about sitting on benches next to an ancient creeks with my hand on her knee and sometimes, on good days, for falling in love.~
 ~With splendid dawn your face aglow, I reach for you and find my heart.~
 ~I am nothing but a passerby on a busy street, forgotten forever.~
Well that's it guys. I've just finished reading Memoirs Of A Geisha and I'll be posting it later. Bye ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment